April 17, 2012

NEW Series: *Reduce Closet Clutter* Tip #2


Each morning during the Little Red Dress experiment, I'd pull on my dress, like a uniform, and then decide what I wanted to go with it. Tennis shoes and t-shirt? Jacket and boots? Frilly shirt and heels?  Knowing what the basic piece was, made choosing my entire outfit that much faster. Having less decisions about what to wear helped me focus in the morning, made me feel good about what I was wearing, and ironically helped me plan for my day the night ahead. I had to be sure the dress was clean and hanging up ready for wear because...there wasn't another option.


Tip #2: Find your uniform outfit. Do you enjoy wearing jeans? Does your job require dresses, skirts or dress pants? Figure out what your basic piece is and build on that.

My uniform is usually a pair of comfy khakis or jeans, a cute shirt, and possibly a cardigan. I can dress my uniform up with a silky shirt, jewelry and flats; or dress it down with a t-shirt and sandals.

Let's Talk: Have you ever considered the idea of adopting a uniform? If you were going to choose a uniform what would it be? Would your uniform be different during the week than on the weekend?

{Click here to read Tip #1}

15 comments :

  1. Right now my uniform would be hoodies and jeans. Yikes! Need to fix that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no right or wrong; it's whatever suits your life. Your uniform sounds comfy. :D

      Delete
  2. i love this!
    My uniform always consists of jeans. boring, i know! that and A lazy t. geesh..this sounds terrible! haha
    -m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not boring, jeans can be wildly versatile and I would bet you've got some adorable tees. :D

      Delete
  3. never thought about it like that before but jeans would be my uniform and I have many tops I wear them with
    I LOVE my tops :)

    still need to get rid of the pants I dont wear anymore though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful you love your tops; that makes choosing outfits fun! :D

      Delete
  4. Great idea! I have recently thought about adopting a work "uniform". I can just see how much easier it makes life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My uniform is my mix-n-match colors. Most of my pants are all neutral: black, browns, khakis, whites, greys. Most of my shirts match most of my pants. I just pick something and go with it!

    I know another girl who said she was going to only own black pants (for work - I'm sure she also owns jeans) and black shoes. She only buys shirts that go with black.

    Do you have to wash your little red dress every day? If so, I'd buy another one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you've been wearing a type of uniform already and I like the idea of black pants and different shirts for work.

      I did wash the little red dress (almost) every day--yes, it was a pain. I'd bought it at a thrift store so I couldn't buy another one. But thankfully I'm finished with the Little Red Dress Experiment now. :D

      Delete
  6. Yes, definitely thought about a uniform. If I had my druthers, I'd do a matrix look (lol,but I'm only half kidding). But since we don't live in the matrix, I've had to settle for a Steve Jobs look -- black turtleneck and jeans. Silver accessories. I always thought a uniform would make dressing (and clothes shopping) so much easier. I was surprised to find that I eventually got bored with it, and occasionally had to venture into something entirely different, i.e., non-urban. I tend to do a lot of black and white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand loving the Matrix look. Although in the Matrix, I would've wanted to add color--maybe a red leather belt? :)

      Delete
    2. No, it's all black for me. But then again, your favorite is a red dress. :)

      Delete
  7. School clothes! I love to work with black and khaki as staple colors and then go from there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Black and khaki are really versatile. They easily switch from dressy to casual.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your visit. I love hearing from you and dearly appreciate your comment!